Rejection - word missing in the first paragraph

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Asphodel

Rejection - word missing in the first paragraph

Post by Asphodel »

HI everybody,

I've submitted an article and it has been rejected a couple of times (always different reasons). So I've edited it and submitted it again. I was very surprised when it got rejected again for a completely new reason and the paragraph in question was not the one that I've edited. Could you please help me out and say if there is indeed a word missing there? Because seriously, it seems fine to me:

"Stories of identity theft, online fraud and various phishing scams are not a novelty any more. In fact, they appear on the news so often that people get used to them and stop paying attention. But not noticing the danger doesn't stop you becoming yet another victim."

Thanks in advance!
Celeste Stewart

Re: Rejection - word missing in the first paragraph

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Hi,
"any more" should be "anymore" and it looks like the missing word appears (or doesn't appear as the case may be) here:
". . .doesn't stop you becoming yet another victim" (doesn't stop you FROM becoming yet another victim).
Asphodel

Post by Asphodel »

Thank you very much for your help!

Yes, I thought it might have been "from".

Funny thing with "any more" vs "anymore". British books usually use "any more". http://alt-usage-english.org/anymore.html
WordCraft

Post by WordCraft »

I agree with the link you give, and it is the way I use it.

Excerpt: "I don't buy books anymore because I don't need any more books."

Though, of course, you still should have had "anymore" in your piece, by my reckoning at least. :D
Asphodel

Post by Asphodel »

WordCraft wrote:I agree with the link you give, and it is the way I use it.

Excerpt: "I don't buy books anymore because I don't need any more books."

Though, of course, you still should have had "anymore" in your piece, by my reckoning at least. :D
Thanks very much!
jak

Post by jak »

I've never come across any more written as one word. Maybe that's because I'm from the UK. But a more precise way of writing the sentence, which would avoid using that anyway, is: Stories of identity theft, online fraud and various phishing scams are no longer a novelty.
Asphodel

Post by Asphodel »

jak wrote:I've never come across any more written as one word. Maybe that's because I'm from the UK. But a more precise way of writing the sentence, which would avoid using that anyway, is: Stories of identity theft, online fraud and various phishing scams are no longer a novelty.
I've only seen it on US websites. Thanks for your help!
Celeste Stewart

It must be a US thing. Merriam-Websters says that in the 20th century, it became the more common styling for any more. It's used for "now," "at this time," "nowadays," etc...
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

Celeste Stewart wrote:It must be a US thing. Merriam-Websters says that in the 20th century, it became the more common styling for any more. It's used for "now," "at this time," "nowadays," etc...
I've never seen nowadays written and can hardly remember hearing anyone say it. I've heard "these days" occasionally. It must be an American thing not used in Canada much.
Celeste Stewart

"Nowadays" isn't used much here in the US from what I can tell. I remember an editor explaining that using "nowadays" makes the writer sound old, like she's reminiscing about how today is so much different than way back when... LOL, I guess I could say that "nowadays" isn't used much anymore.