Private request help

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

eek

Private request help

Post by eek »

Ed,
I submitted a spate of articles for a private request, and for each one I chose the correct category, plus the specific private request selection (under "Is this for a request?"). However, all of them are out for public viewing, and though I specified them for my customer I'm concerned. What action should I take to protect them, and what can I do to prevent this in the future? I thought I was doing it right, but wonder if submitting more than one article for one private request (she asked for several titles within the same request) jinxed the system.
Thanks,
Emma
eek

Re: Private request help

Post by eek »

Does anyone else here have insight as to what might have gone wrong? If the private requester issues one request with several titles within it, can you use that to submit multiple articles, or does it cease working after you've submitted the first? I've already moved the articles to the generic private request section and sent a note to the client, but would like to know what to do for the next time.
audrabianca

Post by audrabianca »

has it been more than 3 days?
eek

Post by eek »

I think so, but these are private, not public requests. Private requests are supposed to remain exclusive to the client until purchase, or until the author moves them elsewhere. I've never had this problem before when clicking on the specific private request title to submit, and the only reason I can think of is that she requested multiple titles under one request. I did submit two other titles previously to this batch to the same request (we agreed that I would submit them bit by bit), and those articles were funneled to the right place. I'd like to prevent the same happening in the future, so what I want to know is: If a client requests multiple articles in the future, will she need to post a private request for each title?
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

Public requests often cover multiple titles so there is no reason for a bunch of separate requests.
audrabianca

Post by audrabianca »

I've had private requests. And they have gone to main view after 3 days.
Amy W

Post by Amy W »

When I have a private request, I always just submit it to the Private Request category. I believe we aren't supposed to use that category anymore, but I was always afraid that the article would go public, just as audrabianca said. At least the Private Request category hides articles from the general public. If I were you, I'd keep submitting your articles to the Private Request section, at least until you hear official word from the higher-ups on what to do.
eek

Post by eek »

Thanks, all. My husband pointed out that the acceptance email from CC states that the submission would only remain exclusive to the client for 3 days. I've never had a client wait longer to purchase, so it was never an issue. So that's cleared up.

I'm sure others have said so before, but this is one feature of the private request section that really should be changed. I can't think of a reason for private work to be automatically dumped into the public stuff, especially after only 3 days. If the client changes his mind, the author can always change the category manually. It would save me from a bit of worry over the article being viewed/purchased/stolen before the client purchased.

Guess I'll follow your practice, Amy, from now on.
Amy W

Post by Amy W »

I had a client purchase an article two weeks after it was accepted. If I hadn't posted it in the private request category, it would have been available to everyone for sale, which defeats the purpose of a private request. So I'm with you, I think private requests should remain private - hint, hint, Support :wink:
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

That's why the Private Request category was initially created. Just use that category along with selecting the right request and it won't be a problem. If the requester doesn't purchase it after a reasonable time period, send a polite email asking if the article meets their needs or should you market it elsewhwere. If nothing happens, change the category and it will be available to the general public.