Rejection

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

amandan

Rejection

Post by amandan »

My article is being rejected. Apart from some grammatical errors listed on the editorial information, the email also includes the following:

==== End Editorial Information for Your Article ====
Please take this information into consideration for future submissions. In addition, Submission Guidelines should be followed to avoid repeated rejections.

Even though I know I should have single spaced paragraphed and double between paragraphs, I don't know if I did it right when I submitted my article because the formatting on Word is automatic. I cannot set double space between paragraphs without keeping the single spaced content unchanged. Can someone help?

Besides, I interpret submission guideline as formatting mistakes. Is my interpretation right? Or would it mean other problems? Thanks.
aprilk10

Re: Rejection

Post by aprilk10 »

I believe this is standard on all rejection notices. At least, it has been on the rejections I have received. I think "submission guidelines" refers to any rules regarding formatting, grammar, etc that are outlined in the submission guidelines at CC. For Word, I keep the format set to single spacing, but manually double space between paragraphs. I did receive a rejection notice once however because when I copy and pasted from Word into the long summary, the double spacing failed to appear. It apparently was correct in the attached file though, so I have learned to look over the long summary to make sure all spacing is correct before submitting.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Word's 2007 default settings should be changed. If you know how to edit the normal.dotm file (it's easy), you can do this once and be done with it. Open the file and then go to the Paragraph dialog box. In Word 2007 this is found on the Home tab of the Word Ribbon. Enter the following settings under Spacing:
Before - 0 pt
After - 0 pt
Line Spacing - Single
Click OK
While you're at it, change the font from Calibri to TImes New Roman and set the font size to 12pt.
Save the file. Now, whenever you create a new document, the spacing will be correct for CC.

The normal.dotm file location may vary, mine is located here:
C:\Users\CelesteStewart\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dotm

*edited for file name change
amandan

Post by amandan »

Thanks!
LaLa

Post by LaLa »

Thanks, Celeste, for advising us on the correct settings. I just added Word 2007 to both of my computers (Yeah! I'm back in business!), but I've always worked in an older version and can't seem to figure out how to change it to Times New Roman ONLY. I see where to change it, but the option for TNR also includes Arial (it's under the Office Classic heading. Why are there two fonts in one selection? And how do I make it TNR only?

Thanks in advance. :)
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Word 2007 takes some getting used to. Sounds like you're working with the "Styles section" where you can pick different style categories, each with their own fonts for titles, headings, and body text. Go to the Font section (circled in image below) instead.
Attachments
font.jpg
font.jpg (143.01 KiB) Viewed 4416 times
LaLa

Post by LaLa »

Yep, I was in the styles section. Thanks, Celeste!