Hairy Article

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

MelissaNott

Hairy Article

Post by MelissaNott »

I'm a music teacher, so I have a lot of knowledge about teaching beginners to read music. I just drafted an article about how to read time signatures. If you know anything about music, you know that this is a complicated subject (best illustrated with a staff and notes, which I don't have the ability to produce in an article). I am wondering if CC would accept an article about something complicated and difficult to explain without pictures. I wrote it as concisely as I can, but it would take some concentration to absorb the information. I'd like to write articles about learning to read music . . . I could write a ton of 'em. But not if CC wouldn't want them, due to the unique nature of the content. I guess a similar example would be writing articles about how to draw pictures. What do y'all think? I'm new here, and fairly paranoid about getting a rejection!

Thanks for your time!
Evelyn

Re: Hairy Article

Post by Evelyn »

Melissa, I don't pretend to speak for the editors but it seems there are a number of offbeat topics being offered here. If you article has perfect grammar and follows guidelines the editors will probably not reject it based on content. Again, I'm not an editor, so take that with a grain of salt.

On the other hand, your topic is incredibly niche and you may not find immediate buyers for the content. This is not to discourage you--rather, write your articles and get them accepted, then think about doing some self-promotion to potential customers on your own. Some folks around here do Twitter, for instance. (Twitter frightens me, so I don't know the first thing about it.) Others have personal blogs and promote their content through those (I'm one). There are a dozen ways to promote your writing on your own, and I'd highly recommend you consider some of those.

Constant Content buyers are often looking for technology, small business, health, relationship, etc. types of articles. Your good stuff might be missed because the customer base is small. That would be an incredible shame.

To address your point about illustrating your articles: I understand what you mean, but that's pretty hard to do on any article website. There have been some writers who upload illustrations/photos to the less-well-used visual sales categories. You might be able to insert illustrations in your articles? I dunno. Write a bunch and see if they work before fretting about that aspect.

Good luck to you!
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Maybe start out with less graphical topics such as "What Do Music Teachers Mean by Every Good Boy Does Fine?" or "What Does Playing Music by Ear Mean?"

As far as articles that rely on graphics, write them assuming that graphics might be available but don't rely on them. For example, assume the customer will create a graphic to illustrate your words and let your words be so clear that the illustrator will "see" exactly what you mean. Pretend that a student is calling you on the phone asking you to walk him through is assignment. You won't be able to say "Press this key right here" because you won't be in the same room. Instead, you'll have to say, "Find middle C which is the ___ key just after the blah blah blah."
Amy W

Post by Amy W »

I was always taught it was "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge" - which always just made me hungry :D
MelissaNott

Post by MelissaNott »

My students take great pleasure in making up their own acronyms. One of my favorites is "Every Good Burger Deserves Fries".
Amy W

Post by Amy W »

I like that one - and it makes me even more hungry!