What's wrong with my formatting?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Alychic

What's wrong with my formatting?

Post by Alychic »

Hello,

So I have recently returned to CC, hoping to put in some steady work in the months to come. I had an article returned to me the other day citing improper formatting. If someone would please take a look at my article and tell me how it is wrong, I would greatly appreciate it! (A portion of how the article is formatted is listed below.) The article is in 12 pt. font, Times New Roman, single spaced paragraphs with additional spacing between each paragraph. Should I not list location information in the article?

This is what the revisions stated:

Please professionally format your articles in 12 pt. Times New Roman or Arial black font with single spaced paragraphs and a double space between paragraphs. ***A full space between paragraphs helps the reader to determine where one paragraph ends and another begins.*** You should also observe this formatting rule for the content details section of the submission form.

Thanks a bunch, Aly
Fall Fun in Orange County ©
By Alyssa Burroughs

Kids are back in school and the summer air begins to cool. Autumn has arrived bringing fun and entertainment to kids and families in October. Find a fall festival and eat pancakes, or dress the kids up in costumes for parades and prizes. A fun weekend activity is also a great incentive to get that homework done during the week too.

Silverado Days in Buena Park

Celebrate the autumn season at William Peak Park for the annual Silverado Days event. Sponsored by the Buena Park Lions Club, this festival draws over 150,000 people annually and donates the proceeds to local charities in Orange County. The event starts at 5 P.M. on October 15th in 2010, with three days of food, music and entertainment.

A pie-eating contest, dog shows, a chili cook-off are among the many events hosted at the Silverado days. Food and craft booths as well as carnival rides and live music also abound. Admission is free, but bring cash for rides and food.

William Peak Park
7225 El Dorado Dr.
Buena Park, California
714-562-3873
Celeste Stewart

Re: What's wrong with my formatting?

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I'm guessing that when it was copied and pasted into the long summary the spacing didn't appear as it does in your example. This happens with the default style in Word 2007. Microsoft thought it would be nice to add spacing between paragraphs for users so that we wouldn't have to do it ourselves by double pressing the enter key. Trouble is, the spacing isn't a true space, so some text-based forms don't see it.

The solution is to go into Word, click the Paragraph group in the Ribbon, make sure that "0 pt" is entered into "Before" and "After," and make sure that Single spacing is selected. Fun, huh?

I think it's fine (and helpful) to include location info.
Alychic

Post by Alychic »

Thanks Celeste, I will amend and try again!

Nice website btw. Your blog is especially informative. :P
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Thanks for the nice feedback.