Hot topics for usage

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

raywinters

Hot topics for usage

Post by raywinters »

I am still a newbie here, and I have received a few offers for usage, which I accepted. I am wondering if some topics work better as usage articles than others. If I am confident that an article in a certain category is likely to sell for a number of usage licenses, I may want to price it attractively for just that. If I suspect I will only sell one license overall, I would price the usage very, very close to the full rights price.

For instance, I notice that a lot of health articles sell as usage. What advice can you give me, if any, about the relationship between topic and usage? Do some topics sell better as usage? What advice do you have about pricing?

Thank you in advance to anyone who will handle this thorny issue.

Ray
BarryDavidson

Re: Hot topics for usage

Post by BarryDavidson »

I think the biggest attractor to usage is the price itself - especially if the buyer isn't concerned with someone else having the same article.

I've sold several usage license articles in the relationship category, while almost every one of my technical articles on computer related subjects have sold for full rights. But... I have sold several computer related articles for usage rights.

I think the only consideration you may want to look at when deciding is whether the articles will be out of date in a short period or not. Health related articles, while a new trend pops up every few weeks, can be used for many types of websites - especially as filler. (Please don't take offense if you write health related articles.) The same can be said for technical articles about device drivers. I almost never worry about the types of licenses sold for my articles unless the article is published elsewhere, or someone offers a pittance for the articles (the latter I usually reject).