UK vs. US English

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Raven

UK vs. US English

Post by Raven »

Hi,

In the case of specific requests from clients seeking information to suit an Australian or British audience, this would mean submitting work written in UK English. There are multiple grammatical discrepancies between UK English and US English, including variances in comma usage and formality of sentence structure between the two.

Is this a consideration with editors when assessing articles that have been submitted? I have had articles rejected before for UK English usage instead of the usual, accepted US version of English.

Can anyone clarify how this is determined please?
:)
Cheers,
Raven
jadedragon

Re: UK vs. US English

Post by jadedragon »

UK English is perfectly fine, as is Canadian English. You should be consistent within the article though. Don't write in US English and than throw in a UK paragraph.
JoyRCalderwood

Re: UK vs. US English

Post by JoyRCalderwood »

I am Canadian. I've had trouble with comma use and being too wordy or formal. It's part of ongoing learning, but I have to say, now I'm so befuddled with comma use I drive myself mad.

Some editors have been good enough to outline the problem areas which I then correct.

I usually write in Canadian English ie. colour, favourite, and so on unless I am trying to write for a request that is clearly American.

Maybe try adding a sentence in the summary in brackets outlining your approach.