Questions for the Regulars

Area for content rejection questions.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

KateL

Questions for the Regulars

Post by KateL »

Hello everyone,

I'm new to writing for CC, though have been registered for a while. I submitted my first article recently in response to a public request which caught my eye. It was rejected initially because of an error in the category I submitted it under (I blame unfamiliarity with the process though I may just be thick). It was rejected again when I re-submitted it due to a spelling error - which I discovered when I went to correct it was not so much a mistake as a conflict between US/UK spelling. I've submitted the article again and hope it will pass this time.

So really I have two questions, the first is does CC prefer US English spelling to UK English or are both equally acceptable?

My second question is that after reading the forums I have read about account suspensions being linked to rejections. I didn't see mention of this when I signed up nor recall being warned about it when I submitted or read the rejection email, so could anyone link me to further details? How many rejections will incur an automatic ban? If an article I submit is accepted will previous "rejections" of the same article count against me or will I get a clean slate? I am pleased that the site has rigorous standards, especially as so many sites - and even commercial publications - often fail to make the same grade, so I really hope that I will not be permanently suspended before I even have the chance to get the hang of things here.

I understand that CC must "weed out" those who are simply not capable of producing work to the sites' standard, but like to think that I am more competent than that. I'm not a highly-educated woman, but I'm a good writer with some professional experience and positive reviews, critiques and fanmail following various published works. Though much of my experience is based around POV articles, interviews and opinion-based writing (all of which I know are unacceptable here) I am keen to expand my range and believe that writing for CC would be a great way to do that. There will be a learning-curve, however, so I am hoping that the site will accommodate that and not punish little mistakes if the bulk of the writing is proficient.

Any information and/or tips for this newbie would be much appreciated, thank you. :)
jadedragon

Re: Questions for the Regulars

Post by jadedragon »

Welcome to Constant Content!

We need a forum FAQs...

UK spelling and grammar are fine. US spelling and grammar are fine. Mixing the two is not fine (or is that just called Canadian?).

There is something called the three strikes rule. It does not necessarily kick in at three rejections and it is not really a rule. Many of us have more than three rejections under our belt. Essentially Constant Content is looking for writers capable of consistently producing original error free self edited articles. If someone can not/will not meet the site's need for quality writers Constant Content reserves the right to not accept any more submissions from the person (aka banning them).

We see people come into the forum who can't string words into a proper sentence complaining they were banned. We also see people who submitted articles they stole complaining they were banned. You seem like the type that will be perfectly fine here. Just read the submission guidelines, double check your work and start making money.
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

And until you're familiar with how the site works, just submit one article at a time. Wait for an acceptance before submitting your next article. If you do get a rejection, be aware that the editors stop reading at the first error, so there may be additional errors that will cause a second rejection. Go over any declined articles with a fine-tooth comb, or post the rejection reason in the forums and ask for help.

Even if it seems like the initial process is sloooow, you will be grateful later on when you're banging out articles and confidently submitting them in batches (and selling them for a fair wage). As jadedragon pointed out, plenty of poor writers or plagiarists complain about being banned, but there's also a good share of decent writers who just rushed it at the beginning and lost their chance - and that's always sad to see. So be patient...and don't be shy about asking for help as you've already done. Best of luck to you, Kate!
KateL

Post by KateL »

Thank you Jadedragon and Antonia. :)

I'll admit that I did rush in rather with submitting - though only with one article at a time - because I didn't realise how high the standard is here. I suppose I've grown a little cavalier about my writing being "good enough" without double or triple checking it. Fortunately for my ego the rejections weren't due to a lack of skill on this occasion, but had the piece been longer then I might have risked errors. The article has been accepted today, so at least now I am a little more familiar with the process I can give my next submission the consideration the site requires - and deserves.

The thing which could trip me up here is my lack of technical knowledge of English. I know what "feels right" but due to illness in my teens and adolescence I attended very little schooling and no further education. I've worked as a proofreader because I generally have a good feel for what works and what doesn't, but I am wholly unable to explain the "rules" behind the errors. My memory suffers from the medication, so I find it really difficult to learn complex information just by reading about it. As yet I've been unable to complete an Open University-type course in English Language as I would like. Until now I've relied heavily on "doing what comes naturally," but I see that here I may struggle to have longer articles accepted - due to minor technical errors which I the editors pick up on but I don't realise I have made. I'm hoping to learn more as I go along and improve my skill level as my attention focuses in more on the things which have previously eluded me.

That's why I was worried when I first saw the ban mentioned. I know I am capable of writing to standard, I just don't know if I am yet able to do that without some hiccups along the way.
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

I'm so glad your article was accepted!

I know what you mean about "feeling" when something is correct or not. I was just reminded of an incident in my teens. I said "I feel bad," and my gym teacher corrected me, saying, "You mean, 'I feel badly.'" I KNEW she was wrong but I didn't know how to explain why! It was incredibly frustrating. (And clearly, scarred me for life...:) )

I do have a much stronger grasp of the nuts and bolts of grammar these days. But I still occasionally have to look up a rule. I'm sure we all do. Don't worry, a few errors every now and then will not get you banned as long as your work is consistently of a high standard. Perhaps stick to shorter pieces for now? If you ever want a second pair of eyes on any articles you're unsure about, just let me know.
Jaye

Post by Jaye »

If something you write doesn't sound right and you don't know why, just post a question in the forums. You can be as specific as you like, and no question is too daft (you should see some of mine!). You'll get prompt answers from writers who do know the grammar rules. Also, you get good answers on what's acceptable in US versus UK english.
KateL

Post by KateL »

Thank you everyone!

I submitted another piece and this time my concerns regarding my lack of technical proficiency were proven justified. Fortunately the editor who reviewed the work was very helpful in identifying the couple of areas that required attention and I hope that the piece will be accepted next time. I've limited myself to the "film synopsis" public request until I feel confident enough to submit full articles, despite having sold articles freelance for years.

I think half the trouble is that I am out of practice and have grown a little bit too complacent. :oops: I think I was 16 and taking my exams when I last had my grammar and punctuation scrutinised. (This makes it almost ten years ago.) My initial path into writing was an unexpected segue from other pursuits, and I've lived on a lot of luck I think. I'm used to the bulk of my writing being acceptable and the copy editor making little corrections where necessary, but not actually ever having the work 'evaluated' for technical content. I wonder if I'm ready to be writing for CC as I don't think that I am educated enough to submit anything - of any length - without the occasional error.

In the first piece I was unlucky and submitted it in the wrong category by mistake, and then a word needed to be italicised which earned me the second rejection, but the last one really was due to my failings. I can't believe I left out an apostrophe that was so obvious, though the other query was I think more to do with my writing style being wordy and colloquial rather than a 'mistake'. I agree with the editor that it could have left my meaning unclear to some readers, but because all my writing experience has been relatively informal I haven't yet learned to assess my work in the way I see CC requires.

I would love to write with this site because I find that I write more when I have purpose. Though the lack of a deadline will always be a problem, having somewhere to submit the work gives the process more structure and I believe it will help me be more productive. If I can't improve my technical ability, however, I don't know if I will have the opportunity to be around long enough to prosper here. :( I'm torn between enjoying the motivation to write for CC and not ruining my chances by attempting something I am not yet fit for - and being unable to try again in the future if I fail now, as the bans are permanent.

I've suffered with M.E/Chronic Fatigue for years and my cognitive clarity and concentration fluctuates throughout the day. The "brain fog" has always disrupted my writing, but I find that writing is good for my self-esteem. The success I have had with it helps me feel like I still have something to offer the world despite being unable to maintain a full-time career. I know I can write, and write well, but I don't know if I can do it flawlessly which may be my undoing here. The request I've written for caught my eye because - as you can imagine - I spend a lot of time resting, and would feel like my movie-watching was more legitimate and less time-wasting if I could spin it into something constructive.

Thank you everyone for your help and encouragement so far, I really do hope that I can meet the standard for the site and stay here, as I have been very impressed with the standard of the writing and the quality of the community.