Interrobangs: Yes or no!?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

RedaMarie

Interrobangs: Yes or no!?

Post by RedaMarie »

Hello all,

"Gumshoe" here. I'm still in the process of deciding whether or not my grammar is up to CC standards. I've been combing through the forum for two days and have yet to find an answer to a couple of my questions. I apologize in advance if these are duplicate questions that have already been answered on the board.

1) Are interrobangs (!?) allowed by CC?
2) Are one word sentences allowed? For example: Does she like kittens? No. Does she like dogs? Maybe. It all depends on...

Thanks in advance.
Antonia

Re: Interrobangs: Yes or no!?

Post by Antonia »

I had no idea "!?" was called an interrobang. What a great expression. When I mentioned this to my husband, he said, "Well, if anyone writes an article about chess, they might use them, because "!?" and "?!" are both chess notations."

So in that case the answer would be yes...but otherwise I would guess no, because the interrobang (also known as the interabang or quesclamation mark, according to Wikipedia) is not standard punctuation.

The answer to your #2 is yes. The majority of CC customers are looking for web writing, which is fairly informal. I use one word sentences all the time. I also occasionally start sentences with And and But.

Hope this helps, and thanks for introducing me to the new punctuation term!?!?! :)
RedaMarie

Re: Interrobangs: Yes or no!?

Post by RedaMarie »

Antonia,

Thanks so much for the response! You all are seriously great here.

Cheers.