Google's "Crack Down" on Content

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

VersantScribe

Google's "Crack Down" on Content

Post by VersantScribe »

I've been reading on several writer's blogs lately about Google's new announcement regarding webspam and content mills. All in all, if they can accomplish what they're aiming for, I think it's a great thing. I was curious to see what the writers here thought, since CC is not a content mill but a marketplace, and is exempt from what they are targeting. Writing here kind of separates US from having to worry much since we don't write the kind of content Google is fighting (at least the articles we write FOR here, I can't ever know where else people write.)

In my mind, this actually could help CC, because it MAY drive those customers who aim to BUY junk content to re-evaluate their model and search for better content. Or, it will shut them down. If they're looking for actual quality content, they'll possibly come Here. More opportunities for us! This is of course, assuming Google is successful in their purge.

Do you think this will have an effect on us from this side of the issue? Will the crack-down on the low-pay junk mills have an effect on the overall wages for content authors? Will it drive more business to places like CC?
ThisOldMan

Re: Google's "Crack Down" on Content

Post by ThisOldMan »

Off-hand, I would say it would not make any difference. All that will happen is Google gets a lot of publicity. People will spam no matter what and people will pay slave labor wages for articles to be written as long as there are people who will work at those prices.

The way I see it, CC is somewhat like on a totally different plane of existence from those content mills. I have looked at those sites. 1usd for 500 words. It's so unreal. But there must be people writing at those prices just as there are people who pay loose change for junk. I think the main culprit is the algorithm used by the search engines. Style and creativity, being very individualistic qualities, cannot be quantified yet with some mathematical formula. So a piece of junk with the right combination of keywords can score well in page ranking. Therefore there will be people who will pay the lowest price possible for such junk so long as said junk do well with search engines.

Did I mention that computers are abysmally stupid machines?
VersantScribe

Post by VersantScribe »

ThisOldMan wrote: Style and creativity, being very individualistic qualities, cannot be quantified yet with some mathematical formula.
Where it matters, scores mean very little because you can't rate an experience. Just like a good wine! :)
ThisOldMan wrote:Did I mention that computers are abysmally stupid machines?
Then how come mine makes me feel so dumb all the time!?! LOL I think that says more about me than the computer, though...
Judith
Location: I may be found where mountains rise and rivers flow.

Post by Judith »

Did someone say good WINE? :shock:
ThisOldMan

Post by ThisOldMan »

@ Versantscribe
There is absolutely nothing with your mental capabilities. If after trying unsuccessfully for a gadzillion times to get your computer to do something very simple and then be told the solution and the solution is such an oxymoron that you really want to give yourself a hefty kick in the nether regions, all that it means is that the programmer is the nincompoop not you. And, mind you, there are more brain-dead programmers than they themselves would like to believe.

@ Judith
What I remember about liquid spirits is that 'Women, like good wine, improves with age'. Sadly, that does not seem to apply to men, especially not ThisOldMan. After more than half-a-century of wandering around on this lonely planet, I can state with certainty that I have grown older with any increment in the quantum of my wisdom. At 57 my cerebral processes still get into a gridlock when confronted with batting eyelashes just as it happened when I was 17.
webscribe

Post by webscribe »

ThisOldMan, 57 isn't "old" in a society where people typically live past 80. In fact, 57 is now the new 47 (according to Women's Home Journal). 57 certainly isn't "old" in your case since you obviously have all your faculties or frailties (?) intact . . . or something like that. It's good to hear that the girls are still short circuiting your brain after 40 years.

Now we all know how to get Judith's attention! You just have to say the "w" word and then you can ask her a serious question about writing :) .
Judith

Post by Judith »

@webscribe... YES all the W words inspire me to write:)

Wine, Wages, Waffles, Weddings and long Walks! (PS... the waffles must be accompanied by pure Maine Maple Syrup)

@ThisOldMan... You are just a kid compared to me! I would love to be 57 again!
ThisOldMan

Post by ThisOldMan »

@ Webscribe
Thank you for your kind words. Still 57 is way past the point of no return. From this perspective, life has got to be lived even more than to the full for there isn't that much time left to live. Ah, how blithely carefree youth lets slip the precious years that old age holds so dear.

Well, some of us never grow up. That's why girls are still titillating even after having been ignored by so many of them. Some of us never learn either. Chasing after girls is a pursuit with even less substance than chasing after rainbows, yet hope, and some other less mentionable things, springs eternal at the sight of each passing filly.

@ Judith
Congratulations on getting this far in one piece. Everything is in good working order, I am sure. In Thailand, we say that age is just a number. You are only as old as you think you are. Myself, I am always 13 years old while playing WoW. Are you into games, by any chance?

Hallelujah Lovelight
Judith

Post by Judith »

@ThisOldMan - Well I am still in one piece. My other job is photography and I have had a few falls while trying to get that perfect picture. A couple of years ago I tumbled 35 feet down a waterfall holding my camera up hoping it would not get wet. Other than a few bruises and a headache, both camera and I survived :) I think my physical activities keep me young. I love hiking, canoing and cross country skiing. I also build web sites. As far as games go ... I do enjoy them as long as the weather is nasty outside and I want to stay in :)
ThisOldMan

Post by ThisOldMan »

Websites? Ah, another 'w' word. Do you use Wordpress or do you write in html? I was learning how to set up my own unmanaged servers before I became immersed in writing for CC. Maybe I can learn something from you.
Judith

Post by Judith »

ThisOldMan wrote:Websites? Ah, another 'w' word. Do you use Wordpress or do you write in html? I was learning how to set up my own unmanaged servers before I became immersed in writing for CC. Maybe I can learn something from you.
I do both. It really depends on what the client wants. If they want to be able to do their own thing on the website then WordPress is good. It's open source allowing me to customize it for them if needed. And since it's free I don't have to invest time in building a content management system. If they want nothing to do with their site except to receive e-mail saying they have made a sale ... well I build it the old traditional way with HTMLand CSS and a little PHP thrown in for good luck :) We have our own server... Linux. We host our clients.
ThisOldMan

Post by ThisOldMan »

You are not into selling web hosting as well, are you?
Judith

Post by Judith »

ThisOldMan wrote:You are not into selling web hosting as well, are you?
Absolutely lol But I don't talk about it here as this is CC's board for assisting us as writers ...not for promoting our other enterprises :)
ThisOldMan

Post by ThisOldMan »

I get you. Perhaps it would not be against the ToS to PM me with the relevant link?