Affect vs. Effect

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

aprilk10

Affect vs. Effect

Post by aprilk10 »

OK...I need some help here. Affect vs. Effect is one of those frustrating situations that sometimes makes me want to scream! Generally, I just remember it as effect is a noun and affect is a verb. However, I know there are some exceptions to this rule. I just got a piece back for revision. I wrote:

"The effect foods that go into our bodies have on our overall outlook and demeanor is amazing."

The revision request states that this should be affect. I kind of see this, as it would Affect (verb) our outlook, but is it not still an Effect (noun)? Arrgg...maybe I should just change it and move on! I suppose I could just change "effect" to "influence," since it could be either a noun or a verb...
Celeste Stewart

Re: Affect vs. Effect

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I think your usage is correct; you are using effect as a noun.

Strunk & White says, "Effect. As a noun, means 'result.' As a verb, 'to bring about' and 'to accomplish.' Not to be confused with affect which means 'to influence.'" (My note: effect as a verb isn't commonly used. "He effected change" would be an example of that usage.)

Examples:
The effect that foods have on our bodies. . . (not: The affect that foods have on our bodies. . .)
In other words, "The result that foods have on our bodies. . ."

Foods can lead to unusual side effects. . . (not: Foods can lead to unusual side affects. . .)
Foods affect our bodies. . . (not: Foods effect our bodies. . .)
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

So, should I resubmit as I have it, or change it to what they tell me is right? :-)

Kind of frustrating when the editors are actually wrong...we can't really argue with them! :D I'm thinking I will resubmit it and see if it comes back again. If so, I am not sure what to do! :?
Celeste Stewart

I could be wrong of course, but I wouldn't change it to what I believe is grammatically incorrect just to get it approved. I would either put a polite note to the editor in the summary explaining that you believe that the word "effect" is serving as a noun with the meaning "result" or I would revise the sentence so that there's no possibility for misinterpretation.

Original:
"The effect foods that go into our bodies have on our overall outlook and demeanor is amazing."
(I might add "that" for clarity: "The effect THAT foods have" or "The effect that ingested foods have..."

Revised:
Foods that go into our bodies have an amazing effect on our overall outlook and demeanor."

Foods that go into our bodies affect our overall outlook and demeanor in amazing ways.

Side note: I wish the editors would chime in on conversations like these. Heavy sigh. I miss Ed's wisdom and definitive word on grammar issues.
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

Agreed. I miss Ed! It would be nice to have an editor's viewpoints on issues such as this! Thanks Celeste!
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

Well, I resubmitted as follows:

"The effect that foods have on our overall outlook and demeanor is amazing."

I also included a short (but hopefully polite) note to the eds. I hope it goes through. It has been a few hours now since resubmitting. Hope it goes through soon since it is for a public request! I just noticed the use of first person. I assume it is ok though since it is universal?
Celeste Stewart

"Our" and "we" when used to refer to humanity in general are usually okay here.
damianperez

Post by damianperez »

Most likely, the reason that the ed cited it as an error is because of the awkward phrasing of the sentence that lead to confusion in understanding the sentence. I agree with celeste, in that something should not be changed to be incorrect. Sometimes it's better, as celeste did with the examples, to see if you can rephrase the sentence for more clarity.
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

:D I wouldn't have actually submitted it with the mistake...that was frustration talking! I can see how it may have read a bit awkwardly...though the specific request did say to change it to affect and was as follows:

==== Editorial Information for Your Article: ====

"The effect foods" Affect. ///

Oh well...done and resubmitted! I wish it would be reviewed soon though! Looks like it may be next week now...though ocassionally they go through on a Sat.!
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

Finally went through today...with "effect!" Now just hopingit sells...