Is it okay to use similar titles?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

MayMonten

Re: Is it okay to use similar titles?

Post by MayMonten »

Elizabeth Ann West wrote:Well here's one way to look at it... what if the same customer bought "Things To Do in NY in Feb" and "Things To Do in NY in Winter" and realized there were large chunks of the exact same text? How would the buyer's readers react? That's why we say it is always best to change up the copy, even if you are only asking for Usage rights, because that's what is in the best interest of the buyer. We may all be writers here, but if no one buys, no one eats... ;)
That makes sense.

I guess I'm just confused about how to use the suggestion made earlier on this thread -- "You could also do '10 Best Things to do in Spring in XYZ' combining the best ideas from the spring months." That's a great idea, and I'd like to try it, but I'm not sure how to do that and keep it really fresh in each version, as these are basically just lists with a couple of sentences of description for each item -- and some of that description is information (where/when the events take place) that would have to be repeated.
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

What if you changed the perspective in each article? For example, say Things to Do in May includes "Take Part in Kite Flying Contest at X Park, time date etc", then Things to Do in Spring could say "May is the perfect time to fly a kite. Look for gatherings and contests blah blah blah" without being as specific. That also creates a nice linking opportunity if the same buyer picks them all up. Not sure if this exact approach would work for your lists, but perhaps it will trigger another idea.
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

My suggestion was more generic. Basically instead of writing 10 articles on completely different topics, write multiple articles around the same theme and save yourself time.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

jadedragon wrote:My suggestion was more generic. Basically instead of writing 10 articles on completely different topics, write multiple articles around the same theme and save yourself time.
My "wag" would be that as long as the articles were different enough from each other that it would be fine to write those ten articles. Hell, sometimes I have enough trouble coming up with a title for my pieces sometimes because you can't post with the same name as any other article.