Can anyone help me with hyphenation? Please?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

BJBarron

Can anyone help me with hyphenation? Please?

Post by BJBarron »

Hyphens give me a headache. I have been reading hyphenation rules, various websites, and the dictionary for a couple hours and am more confused than I was to start with. The problem is "business class." Is is ever hyphenated, never hyphenated, or sometimes hyphenated. My gut tells me that it would be hypenated in "business-class traveler," "business-class fares," "business-class seats," or "business-class service" but not used when saying something like, "The seats in business class are larger" or "Many airlines now offer business class."

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, can anyone suggest a really thorough guide to hyphenation, either online or in a book? I think I was sick and missed hyphenation day in grade school language arts!
Celeste Stewart

Re: Can anyone help me with hyphenation? Please?

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Your examples are correct. In those cases, the hyphenated words are modifying a noun (business-class seats). That said, the AP Style Guide says hyphenation isn't standardized and recommends using hyphens when the lack of them affects clarity. For example, small businessmen vs. small-business men. So, it's all subject to interpretation and clarity.
BJBarron

Post by BJBarron »

Thank you Celeste. Now I can submit my article. The AP Style Guide people should pay you commission. I'm ordering it this afternoon! Do you recommend the book or online version?
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I need to get a new copy as mine's a few years old :(. I've been thinking about going with the online version but I'm torn because I like having reference books on my desk.