Important re: excerpt

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Hannah047

Important re: excerpt

Post by Hannah047 »

Please tell me, when submitting an article, in the excerpt box where it is required to post at least 1/3 of the article, it is a bad idea to post the entire article?

Someone told me in this forum that is what they do. But, after doing so, and viewing it, I thought why would anyone purchase my article if the whole thing is in plain sight? I think I made a dreadful mistake.

Please advise.

Thank you so much,
Hannah
aprilk10

Re: Important re: excerpt

Post by aprilk10 »

I'm the one who told you that back a few months ago Hannah. :-) If it is a mistake, I certainly haven't suffered from it! I know many of the top-selling authors here also post the entire article. I started out only posting a third. I haven't gone back to change all of those from early on...but most of them are still sitting there unsold. My personal opinion is that a client wants to see an entire article if they are going to shell out big bucks for it. Would you spend $50-$100 on something sight unseen? Just my opinion, others only post a portion and do quite well.
nichewriter

Post by nichewriter »

I generally post 30% to 50% of my articles and have no problem selling articles here. On occasion I'd post the entire article -- such as when I get a private request or when I already have an article written for a public request (in this case, I'd edit the article first and put the entire article in the excerpt before submitting it to the requester). Some would advocate posting the entire article in the excerpt, some would advocate posting 1/3. In my case, I'm comfortable posting a third of my articles and I'm happy with that because I'm able to sell articles that way. It's basically up to you. Just make sure you're comfortable with your choice.

~Sherry
(nichewriter)
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Now that CC has changed the display to show an image of article rather than text, there's much less risk to posting the full article. Content scrapers can't grab the text like they used to be able to do. I can't think of a downside to posting the full article thanks to this new display feature.
Hannah047

Post by Hannah047 »

Thank all of you for your replies.

I still think you can hit ctrl C to obtain the article (and then of course ctrl V to paste it.) I will try it again. Now, I can't remember if it worked or not. I am just so fed up that I have a brain cramp. :(

I appreciate every reply.
Hannah
Hannah047

Post by Hannah047 »

Hi again,
I just looked at the user names....Hi April. I want to thank you for all of your help a few months ago. I will never forget you. I pray that every kind act you do comes back 100-fold.
Hannah
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

Hi Hannah! The only way you can copy and paste an article is if you are in the editing portion of your own article. Articles as the clients see them cannot be copy and pasted. But, as previously stated, whether you post the whole article or not is up to you. I thought much like you in the beginning, but found it to my personal benefit to post entire articles. Others, like Sherry, do very well only posting a portion. It really is just a matter of what you are comfortable with. Also, don't get discouraged just because the article doesn't sell immediately. When you submitted, did you submit to the public request or did you just submit it as a general article? If you didn't submit it to the request, they never saw it. If you did, and it was simply returned to your page after the 3 day exclusive period, that doesn't mean they won't buy it. I have had a large number of articles purchased after they returned back to my profile. Sometimes the requester just waits awhile to purchase one. Give it time to sell. And...it may or may not sell. A few months ago, the first article I ever wrote on here finally sold. I was pretty surprised when I got the Constant Content Article Sold notice!I didn't even realize at first that it was the one that sold, because I was assuming that the sell was a private request order I had just submitted! That old article sat there for more than a year before it sold! Just be patient and keep writing...the sales will come!
Hannah047

Post by Hannah047 »

God bless you, April. I always feel energized and motivated after reading a message from you. Thank you so very much. You are one of the kindest people I have ever met.

Sincerely,
Hannah
p.s. I just now read your message....wasn't in the forum since last time.