Any fiction writers here?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

jellygator

Any fiction writers here?

Post by jellygator »

Would it be possible for me to post a request to purchase fiction short stories?
Parsons

Re: Any fiction writers here?

Post by Parsons »

I do some fiction writing, and I know quite a few other do as well, but I believe that CC states they do not accept fiction works. I'm not sure
how that would work out as a private request.
jellygator

Post by jellygator »

I'm interested in buying about 10 short stories, 3-10 pages in length, with a common theme. I was thinking of initially offering about $6 per page for full rights for the project I'm doing, and aiming for much higher for future projects if it succeeds well.

I'm not sure if I should ask through the contact link or get an answer here. I figured I'd wait and see if any of the mods could provide some guidance, because I have no intention of breaking CC's rules, and would prefer to use this site if it's available. (Maybe it'd be a nice change of page for the editors, even? :P )
carpenjoyce

Post by carpenjoyce »

I have seen marketplace buyers post requests for personal essays and fiction on other websites on a regular basis. I think cc may be missing a good opportunity here. The problem is that both fiction and personal writing are much harder to edit and judge, which makes it harder to maintain the quality this site is known for. Moreover, fiction is more difficult to do well, imo, and I think writers are less willing to give up their rights to it. I write fiction too, but I would never be willing to sell full rights on something I thought was really good.
jellygator

Post by jellygator »

That makes sense. I agree that CC might be missing a good opportunity, though.
JennaP

Post by JennaP »

Okay. Fiction writer here.

Fiction is not like non-fiction. Only a small percentage of fiction writers are willing to ghostwrite, and those that do demand very high prices. Is there a particular reason you want to do this project as ghost written with full rights? If you did it as a themed anthology, asking for first rights with a one year reversion after publication and letting people use their bylines, you would be tripping over submissions, trust me. Doing it like that...you're likely to be ignored.

I for one don't ghostwrite fiction. I might consider it if it was a really exciting project and you were paying upwards of $30 a page, but I don't give full rights.

I know that's horribly negative, but I figured an answer from a professional on that side of the front would help you think more about the project.
jellygator

Post by jellygator »

I don't consider your input negative at all. I don't know what is realistic or not, as I've never done something like this. I appreciate what you're saying. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I've actually been browsing for stuff at other sites, as was mentioned above, but think it will be harder to keep the theme I'm looking for if I try to buy material. I've decided to shorten the project and complete it myself. If it works well, I might return to purchasing.
JoyRCalderwood

Post by JoyRCalderwood »

$6 a page is just not worth it to an author. You might find some writers in a club just starting out that would be happy with that.
JennaP

Post by JennaP »

Actually, assuming the page is 250-300 words I'd take it under normal fiction terms (first rights with an exclusivity period under my own byline). But for ghost writing, people will expect a LOT more than that.
jellygator

Post by jellygator »

That'd be fine - it's what I meant by "full rights" - I am not used to the finer points of payment terms.

I don't know of sites that allow fiction to be sold. I found some scripts when I looked, but I have not figured out how to research these sites yet.