New Writer - Article Pricing Questions

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

writergirl

New Writer - Article Pricing Questions

Post by writergirl »

Hello All,

I am new to Constant Content and I'm very confused about the best way to price my articles. So far I've been adhering to the CC price ranges that show up when you are submitting an article and you click on "typical prices for selling content." But I have been reading the boards and noticed that some CC writers say that articles rarely sell more than once, so they price their articles the same for all three uses (usage, unique, full rights) so that they get paid a fair amount for each article. So far most of the articles I've written have been a bit lengthy and labor intensive so I like this idea, but if articles do often sell more than once I'd be okay having a less expensive fee for the usage and unique prices. I guess the bottom line is I'm afraid of pricing so high that I turn off potential buyers, but also afraid of pricing so low that I'm not getting paid a fair amount for my efforts. So if there are any experienced CC writers out there who could weigh in on this, I would really appreciate it. Specifically I'm interested in hearing:

1. Have you often sold the same article on CC more than once?
2. How do you determine your prices? Do you use the CC price ranges or some other way?

Thanks in advance. Any insight is greatly appreciated as I have much to learn!
jellygator

Re: New Writer - Article Pricing Questions

Post by jellygator »

I'm pretty new here, and haven't resold articles, but I wouldn't price them the same, either.

For one thing, we have no idea what sales possibilities might arise in the future. CC isn't the only channel for selling our work. Perhaps one day you'll want to do an anthology of your articles for some reason, who knows? Selling usage allows you to reserve the right to reprint, while selling full prevents you from using your own work again.

For another, even if it's a very small percentage, some *do* resell. Why give up the chance?

As far as pricing, I base my pricing on how much time and research I put in and how useful and original the information will be to readers. For an 800-word article I wrote on home inspections that provided more in-depth, useful information that can save people a few hundred bucks at a pop, I priced usage at $40 and full rights at $125. (This one sold.) For a 500-word filler piece on how to honor vets on Veterans Day I priced usage at $15. (This one hasn't sold yet.)
Lysis

Re: New Writer - Article Pricing Questions

Post by Lysis »

I price between $.08 and $.10 per word. I also take into consideration the amount of time it takes me to write the article. I actually price double that for private clients, because it's even more work, but that's another thread. My personal, egomaniac self knows that I have experience and expertise in a niche, so I can write at a higher level than a hobbyist. It sounds egotistical, but you've got to have some kind of ego and self-worth to sell yourself as an expert, which I am. :)

I price the same or a few bucks cheaper for usage. I don't really have an interest in usage unless I'm reselling content that I've place somewhere else. Pricing the same for usage and full rights just means you won't get a usage sale. I've sold a few usage articles, but you're kinda taking a gamble. The SEs are not too keen on duplicate content, so unless someone is using it in print, people are getting more educated with how SEs work and know that unique content is required to rank longterm.