Just got my first offer

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Parsons

Just got my first offer

Post by Parsons »

Well, I was excited to get my first offer, however, they were offering less for full rights than I was asking for usage. I think it's a solid article,
and I think I priced it very fairly, so I rejected it. I admit, it felt kind of foolish not to take a bird in the hand. What is everyone's general policy
on offers made below asking price?
Celeste Stewart

Re: Just got my first offer

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I generally don't offer best offer. Seems like inviting a lot of lowballers and tire kickers to the party and I'm not really interested in that...
Parsons

Post by Parsons »

Yes, I think in the future I will not offer the option. I really want to sell here because I want to get a fair price for my work.
Celeste Stewart

Yeah, just keep that as an option when you have a dud you want to unload or need a quick sale (not sure that it makes a difference in terms of sales speed) but don't use it on those gems that deserve a fair shot or when you can afford to sit tight :)
Parsons

Post by Parsons »

The article sold today for my asking price, to a different client.
No more BO for me, I think, unless it's a really old dud sitting around.
Celeste Stewart

Yay!
jellygator

Post by jellygator »

Congrats, Parson! I'll have to try to catch up with ya.
SidSnyder

Post by SidSnyder »

I've had really low offers that I refused. However, if I had set a price of $40 and someone offered $35, I'd probably accept. I don't know if that happens often; perhaps most offers are very low.
jellygator

Post by jellygator »

I'm thinking that if it's $40, and someone wants to pay $30, they'd be more likely to just pay the $40 and next time, submit a personal request or something.
dellacqua

Post by dellacqua »

I too was so excited to get my best offer but it is below my asking price for usage and it is for full rights! That is less than half the amount I request for full rights. Can I negotiate or is it just accept or refuse? I was thrilled but am now so disappointed!
maryaz

Post by maryaz »

I'm sorry you're dealing with that frustrating feeling! My first sale was the same thing - they offered me a low number. I accepted it, but in hindsight I wish I hadn't. I know it feels discouraging, but keep going! In the future I might add the "best offer" function back in if articles are sitting around for a long time, but in the meantime I'm happy to avoid those decision. From various users' experiences shared on these forums, it seems like articles that someone is willing to offer a lower rate for will eventually sell for the full asking price.

You WILL sell your articles for the full asking price! It just takes a bit of time and patience. Good luck!
dellacqua

Sales

Post by dellacqua »

I just rejected my first offer but am a little discouraged that I have not sold anything yet...I would like to edit the content that is visible to my buyers as I feel I may not be allowing them to see the interesting parts of my articles. How do I make these edits?
Sharion

Post by Sharion »

Some of my articles are very specific and need just the right buyer. I recently sold one that I'd written nearly two years ago. I've also had people buy one article in a series, and then come back many months later to buy the other articles in that series.

Never give up on selling an article.

:-)