Rejected Article

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

scottdamon

Rejected Article

Post by scottdamon »

I'm very new here-- like two articles new, but have extensive experience writing for the internet, as I'm sure many of you do as well-- first article had a tiniest of grammatical tweaks, so that was fine-- though the second, an article on Adelie Penguins, which was only 194 words, I was told not to even re-submit. Is this common? How bad could those 194 words be? It just seemed strange there was no re-write given the other places I've worked--
PhilippaWrites

Re: Rejected Article

Post by PhilippaWrites »

I'm also 2-articles-new here, so I don't have any wisdom. Just a few thoughts - did they provide a reason for the rejection? And could it be that it was rejected because it was so short?

I don't think your previous writing experience matters much, it's all about the quality of the article they are looking at at that moment.
mnicol22

Post by mnicol22 »

Hello and welcome to both of you! :)

Scott, can you provide a bit more information on the rejection? Did you submit the article for a public request? I'm asking because I have seen a request that asks for such short pieces on this specific subject. If yes, did you mention it on the submission form?

All articles, regardless of their length, require proper structure. They have to include an introduction (longer than one sentence) and a conclusion. It is mentioned in the Extended Writer's Guidelines.

Finally, what did the rejection e-mail say? Just "Do not re-submit"? That sounds a bit strange. All of the rejections I've gotten included a valid reason.

Without this information, it's all down to guesswork as to why your article was rejected. :?
jellygator

Post by jellygator »

The Adelie penguins requests is only seeking 150 words, so I doubt the length of your article prompted the rejection.

My understanding is that sometimes writers are asked not to resubmit with a message explaining the reason: "This material does not meet our criteria for quality" or something along those lines. If yours didn't have any message like that, and it didn't have any corrections noted with \\lines\\ to indicate errors, then I'd just delete that one and move on to the next submission. It wasn't a huge article, so chalk it up and move on.
scottdamon

Post by scottdamon »

thanks everyone for weighing in-- it is much appreciated as I get underway here-- below is the message-- followed by article -- I sourced two credible place-- now I know (now) that I sourced incorrectly because I added www -- but that was a mistake I learned on my first article and I don't think that would trigger a rejection, just a fix-- comments appreciated to help me avoid this going forward-- (maybe I need more of a conclusion?) but the way request asked for fun facts and 150 words, it didn't seem warranted-- and again wouldn't reviewer just asked for that in a rewrite?)

You have a new message at Constant-Content

We have reviewed your content, "Introduction to Adelie Penguins." Unfortunately,
we can no longer consider this article for approval. Please do not resubmit.

==== Editorial Information for Your Article: ====

Please put this article in the proper request category.

==== End Editorial Information for Your Article ====

[Text of article deleted by moderator]
mnicol22

Post by mnicol22 »

Judging by the e-mail, my guess would be that they didn't want you to re-submit the article at the general queue. Instead, they wanted you to submit it, marking the appropriate request that it was written for. There is an option at the submission form that asks you whether the article is for a request. When you choose "public request" from the drop-down menu, a second menu appears where you have to choose the specific request you are responding to.

As far as I know, it's the "Editorial Information for Your Article" part that you have to pay particular attention to. If anyone knows better, please, do correct me on this one.
scottdamon

Post by scottdamon »

oh-- ok, now I see what you're saying-- I guess I'll resubmit under the specific choice--
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

Hey there! Welcome to C-C. So glad you found the forums.

I noticed in your pasted article that one of your lines should read, "in front OF their bodies". Don't know if that mistake was in the original you submitted.

I also deleted the article text from your post. These forums sometimes get indexed by search engines and it might appear that your article is plagiarized if the search engine has indexed it. Deleting the text is simply for your protection, and if you'd like someone to look over a whole article at any point in the future simply ask for help and some nice person will volunteer--in a private message.

Good luck to you, and hope to see you around!
scottdamon

Post by scottdamon »

Hi evelyn-- thank you so much for looking out for me re: deleting the article-- that didn't even occur to me-- I have resubmitted the article under the appropriate section-- hope everyone is having a good weekend--