Quoting other websites in an article

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

DavidPeta28

Quoting other websites in an article

Post by DavidPeta28 »

Dear Fellow Drones

A question: I am writing an article on cancer survivor stories. Am I permitted to use a couple of survivor stories found online if I rewrite in my own words, and name the website and source?

Many thanks

David
jellygator

Re: Quoting other websites in an article

Post by jellygator »

You can use references and portions of published works, yes, but you can't use links or web addresses. You'd either do an in-line citation using the site's name or add a references section, I believe.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

For cancer survivor stories, it might be more powerful to find your own original sources (try HARO -- help a reporter out -- Helpareporter.com). There are so many survivors out there, many passionate about telling their stories. Just asking around your own social circle could turn up all kinds of interesting stories. Of course, you'll want to ask permission and if they want their names changed for privacy etc...
DavidPeta28

Post by DavidPeta28 »

Thanks jelly gator, that was helpful, went with the inline quote
DavidPeta28

Post by DavidPeta28 »

Celeste, thanks for the reference.

Unfortunately the cancer I'm writing about is pancreatic, which has a less than 5% survival rate so stories are incredibly difficult to find. It runs in my family, and killed my afflicted relatives so quickly that I couldn't count them as survivors.

However, I take your point - real life research really gives a story like this a boost.

Cheers
David