Clarification Question Regarding Images

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

KatieT

Clarification Question Regarding Images

Post by KatieT »

I'm working on a writer pool request that asks for a link to one of the products I'm discussing, so that he can add a photo to the article. Is it okay to refer the customer to a specific product, on Amazon for example? (I know not to include active links in the article.) Or should I include links to generic photos, like on Fotolia or iStockphoto, as someone here already suggested for including images?

I searched the forum, so I apologize if this has been answered. I just want to make sure I'm meeting the customer's request while not violating any CC terms. Thanks!!
SJHillman

Re: Clarification Question Regarding Images

Post by SJHillman »

The problem I see with linking to a specific product on Amazon or stock photos is that links like that are often broken without warning, sometimes intentionally by the web host for licensing or bandwidth reasons. If you're discussing a specific product, I usually find it's much better to link to the manufacturer's website. If you want to give examples of where a product is sold, then link to the retailer's homepage.

EXAMPLE: Really Cool Widget is an excellent product by the Really Cool Widget Company. Detailed information can be found at www.rllycoolwdgtco.com/reallycoolwidget/. Most models sell for $40 to $50 on websites like Amazon.com and OtherRetailer.co.uk.
Judith
Location: I may be found where mountains rise and rivers flow.

Post by Judith »

You mentioned linking to generic images at Fotolia and IStockphoto. These sites sell stock images and require purchase. Linking to them is not permitted and is a copyright violation. Royalty free simply means there are no ongoing fees after the initial purchase.
KatieT

Post by KatieT »

Thanks for the helpful replies. I'll wait and see if anyone else weighs in before submitting the article.

Judith, yes, I understand about not linking to the photos. I was referring to a recent suggestion made by Celeste Stewart, who said she simply points the customer to some images and lets him/her decide for him/herself whether to purchase one.

Let's say I'm suggesting a gift of kitchen knives. I guess my question with including "a link to a product," as the customer requested, was whether it should be a generic photo of kitchen knives or a reference to a specific set on a retail site. I'll stop beating that horse now. Thanks again!