Offer refusal

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Linda Hourston

Offer refusal

Post by Linda Hourston »

Hi - just received an offer for my article 'Living Libraries in the 21st Century' :-) However, it's an offer for full rights for $5. While I'm very happy about the interest, I'm not so happy with price. Anyone have any words of advice?
Also, how do you accept or refuse? I'm only new and still getting used to site (and I'm a little 'technically challenged').
Linda
Gail Kavanagh

Post by Gail Kavanagh »

That's too low for full rights. Ignore it, or reply to the client and say you cannot let it go for full rights for that price. Let's keep our standards up!
:D
Linda Hourston

offer refusal

Post by Linda Hourston »

Thanks Gail - I thought it was very low, especially since the requestor has offered to pay $10 - $20 for accepted library articles in the requested content area ...
rickstooker

Post by rickstooker »

Hi, Linda, did you check the "Best Offer" button when you submitted your
article? I ask because I'm new to this site also and still learning the rope.

To me, checking that block is equivalent to saying I'll take whatever they
want to give me. In which case, why even complete the price blocks?

If we don't check that block, I guess clients can still make an offer and we
can accept or reject or make a counter-offer just like a real estate deal.

I have noticed that top CC authors rarely use the Best Offer option, at least
on the articles still published for sale. I guess they prefer to hold out
for future usuage fees instead of taking a quick very small sale.
Linda Hourston

offer refusal

Post by Linda Hourston »

good point rickstooker - I have been entertaining best offers - not any more tho :wink:
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I put a best offer on just a few articles. For example, the Valentines in the Sky article was quickly becoming obsolete as Valentine's Day approached. I ended up selling it on Feb 14th under a best offer. While the price was nominal, it was better than waiting a whole year for Valentine's to roll around again.
Keesa

Post by Keesa »

I don't know...I've seen a lot of Christmas-themed articles selling recently.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Well, it was written for Valentine's 2006 so with 2007 coming and going, going for a best offer made sense.
southernrose

Post by southernrose »

I have added best offer to several of my articles that have been sitting around for a while. I received two offers so far, and both were for very reasonable prices just under what I had listed. I think that respectful buyers understand that "best offer" means they have room to barter, not permission to buy ultra-cheap content.
Gail Kavanagh

Post by Gail Kavanagh »

Quite right, southernrose - I have checked the best offer feature for a few old articles as well, but doing that doesn't mean you hasve to accept very low offers.
And Linda, if you have faith in an article, and you've put a lot of work into it, leave it there at your asking price - I have had articles sell ages after I've submitted them. There are some great buyers on CC who really respect the work writers do.
J. A. Young

Post by J. A. Young »

I've checked best offer for a few articles just to experiment. I received one offer that I accepted because it was not a bad offer and since my article had been sitting there a fair amount of time--I said sure. Sometimes when I'm having a crummy week and nothing much is selling for me, I'll put some stuff "on sale" and either check best offer or adjust my asking prices slightly. Pricing can be tricky though because I like to think I offer a fair price for good work right from the start. On the other hand, sometimes just dropping the price by 5 or 10 bucks has worked and the stuff sells. It's something I can live with if the article has sat there for 5 or 6 months. --JA
Keesa

Post by Keesa »

I play around with Best Offer sometimes...usually, though, if I'm going to check that little ticky box, I make sure my price is high enough that I wouldn't mind knocking a little off the price if someone asks.
rickstooker

Post by rickstooker »

Thanks, all -- it helps to see how people are using the system to their advantage.

I guess I'll have to stop thinking about the "Best Offer" checkbox as "best
offer" and think of it instead as, "Make me an offer and I'll see what I think."
Linda Hourston

offer refusal

Post by Linda Hourston »

Thanks everyone - being new to presenting, sharing and actually pricing my work is certainly a 'learning curve'. It's tricky! But I agree we should have faith in our work, and yes we should do away with the 'best offer' and make it, 'make me an offer and I'll see what I think' I like that :-)