Client requested an updated article. How to submit?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

geniuswaitress

Client requested an updated article. How to submit?

Post by geniuswaitress »

Hi --

I have a customer who has requested an updated version of an old article I have in stock. (Some of the info is no longer relevant). I have rewritten the piece, but don't seem to be able to make any changes to the original article info via the "edit" button, or have the option to attach a new file.

Is it possible that the customer has the article in a cart, and that's why the option to make changes has disappeared? How should I handle this? Would like to make the sale right away, as the new version is ready to go.

Thanks.
EFowler

Re: Client requested an updated article. How to submit?

Post by EFowler »

I think that if you're changing the body of the article in any way then it needs to go through the editing process again as a new article would, but might be worth contacting support just to check?
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

If they had the article in their cart, then the status would show as "waiting."

I would contact support on this one. You used to be able to put a note in the summary, but I don't know if they are cool with that anymore.
geniuswaitress

Post by geniuswaitress »

I can't even change the price, so something is up that is specific to this piece. I'll contact support.
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

HI,

Once your article has been approved, you cannot add new content or change the article, even to update it. The editors would need to approve the changes, and you can only do that by submitting the content through regular channels.

If you decide to submit as a new article, you need to consider the following points. If you have used any of the existing content verbatim, then you either need to reword the content or delete the original article, which could get tricky if it has been copied. Plus, you wouldn't be able to use existing content from the original article if you have already sold it.

There is a glitch in the system, which has been there for a long time, that doesn't allow you to edit older articles. CC is aware of this issue, but hasn't had a chance to fix it yet.

Hope some of this info is helpful to you,

Happy writing,
WG
geniuswaitress

Post by geniuswaitress »

So essentially, there's no way to do this.

I can't delete the article, because it will not allow me to. I can't make any kind of change, including deleting, due to the glitch you mention. That means I can't make the changes and send it to the editors as a new article.

I'm frustrated at losing a sale due to some simple article changes being impossible.
tayalltheway

Post by tayalltheway »

If the changes are very simple, the client could always buy the article as is and then make them himself...
tayalltheway

Post by tayalltheway »

Or another option (that I'm not sure if is allowed by CC or not) would be to have the client purchase the article and then you send them the revised version in a message. Anyone know if that would be breaking the rules of the site?
jak

Post by jak »

I'm sure support will be helpful in this situation. They have in the past agreed to delete an article so that I could make changes and resubmit.
Constant

Post by Constant »

You have a couple options here. First, once a client has bought an article from you, you'll be able to add a new file to the listing and they'll be notified of it. You can do that from the My Content section of your account. That's the way we prefer, as it ensures you'll get paid upfront.

If the client won't go for that, feel free to contact me (Eric) at support and I can get the article updated for you.