Usage versus full rights

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

DavidPeta28

Usage versus full rights

Post by DavidPeta28 »

Hi

Quick question: I notice that a full rights sale is what most writers aim for, and it seems that's what CC owners like, too. Most of my articles are in the price range of $40 for full rights & £20 for usage, and my usage article sales are quickly catching up to my full rights total. I never had an opinion on this before, just priced differently as I saw fit, but I'm wondering if my discrepancy is too great. Note that a few of my usage articles have earned me more money (due to two or three downloads) than my full rights articles earn (my top earner is, in fact, a usage article that's downloaded 3 times).

How do other writers feel about this? Do you prefer a discrepancy in your full versus usage rate? Should I be aiming to get full rights sales by increasing the price of my usage articles? Or is it really a cases of us doing what we like, as long as it works for each individual writer?

Thanks

David
Lysis

Re: Usage versus full rights

Post by Lysis »

It's entirely up to you and your budget. I just want the money upfront and don't think use is what people are looking for. Obviously, some people are ok with use, and it's usually much cheaper. I have use sales too that got 3 downloads, so it did make me more money, but I'm all about the upfront sale and then moving on to something else. :)

I would think that if you're selling use for $20 that you will start getting more use sales. That's just my guess.
DavidPeta28

Re: Usage versus full rights

Post by DavidPeta28 »

I see your point Lysis, thanks for your response.