Organizing Your Time

Anything goes.... but SPAM :)

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

cbhrbooth

early bird

Post by cbhrbooth »

Hi inspirangel. Glad to know I'm not the only crazy person up early. I had a friend who wrote from 3:30 - 5:30 a.m. then left for his day job. Did it for ten or twelve years and sold 5 or 6 books before he quit to write full-time.

I feel like a slacker. . .
Mary
joywriter

Post by joywriter »

Oh, I enjoyed reading about all your writing schedules and challenges so much! :D My adrenaline level tops out and inspiration soars!

Could you suggest the very best writers conferences you enjoyed attending? I am taken by your comment that it's the best place to find an agent. I always felt an agent wasn't that important. I could be very wrong :oops:

Also, how do you nurture your characters to speak to you? I'm getting visual scenes now and I'm very excited about that, but not so much are they whispering in my ear.

Write on!
inspirangel

Hi Early Bird (Mary)

Post by inspirangel »

I dont think I'm quite as zealous as your friend! but with 5 kids home from school and college all wanting the computer, who could blame me for getting up at 5 to write!!
While I'm here, can anyone explain how the front page works? I am worried when I see other authors articles posted there a few hours after the request, while mine are still under review for a day or two? Are they more scrupulous with new authors?
I must say though, they did well to get to all mine before the deadline - I am so pleased with this site!
inspirangel

Hi Early Bird (Mary)

Post by inspirangel »

I dont think I'm quite as zealous as your friend! but with 5 kids home from school and college all wanting the computer, who could blame me for getting up at 5 to write!!
While I'm here, can anyone explain how the front page works? I am worried when I see other authors articles posted there a few hours after the request, while mine are still under review for a day or two? Are they more scrupulous with new authors?
I must say though, they did well to get to all mine before the deadline - I am so pleased with this site!
tifferbugz

Re: Hi Early Bird (Mary)

Post by tifferbugz »

[quote="inspirangel"]I dont think I'm quite as zealous as your friend! but with 5 kids home from school and college all wanting the computer, who could blame me for getting up at 5 to write!!
I must say though, they did well to get to all mine before the deadline - I am so pleased with this site![/quote]

Hi Inspirangel, I noticed no one addressed your question and I just wanted to let you know that I am pretty certain that they go in order with how articles are submitted, regardless of author. Although I think they may try to get requests through before general articles -- I'm not sure on that so don't quote me lol.

I think articles may get processed out of order somewhat when different editors are working on different articles. It seems like they pull a bunch at once and then work through them as they can and some editors may get through the batches quicker than others.

Please, any vets or editors feel free to correct me as I might very well be mistaken. :)
Alexandra Heep

Post by Alexandra Heep »

While I am not a vet, I did have the same question about the order of reviewing articles, and posted it here (can't find where right now). One of the editors answered me promptly. The answer was that public requests usually get reviewed first (if they can recognize them as such). There really is no favoritism. Even though I was new, my articles were really handled in the same manner as everyone elses.

I never had to wait longer than four days for a review, and sometimes my articles would be on the front page, other times they would not be. Most of my articles get reviewed within two days. I also receive curteous and prompt answers to all my questions, yet I am not really prolific (yet). Hope this helps.
cbhrbooth

good writing

Post by cbhrbooth »

[quote]Could you suggest the very best writers conferences you enjoyed attending? I am taken by your comment that it's the best place to find an agent. I always felt an agent wasn't that important. I could be very wrong Embarassed

Also, how do you nurture your characters to speak to you? I'm getting visual scenes now and I'm very excited about that, but not so much are they whispering in my ear.[/quote]

My best experiences with writing conferences have come from regional ones that are on the small side. I went to one this past spring that was in the boonies, but sat in a workshop where 95% of the attendees were published and most had 10 or more books published. Who knew? The editors and agents attending were from the top houses and agencies and you got to chit chat with them in the hallways and walking to workshops. The larger conferences I've been I've had less access to editors/agents and I've had less success with networking opportunities among writers. So, my advice is if there are some small or medium local or regional conferences available to you, then check them out first before investing a lot of money in the big conferences.

As far as my characters, I do a lot of character prep work so I think of the characters as people. Not made up people, but people who act a certain way, just as I behave that is unique to me. I realize that is about as clear as mud, but, frankly, I'm not good enough to actually teach what I do! That's a whole 'nother level!

If you are having trouble with your characters, I'd suggest you read Elizabeth George's Write Away, or Stephen King's On Writing, or any of the really good writers who are also good teachers.

The visual scenes you mention are what I usually try to flesh out and build a personality on. Often I have someone in mind who is a lot like my character (or shares a trait like being a tightwad or rude or kind so I can really connect what it is like to be around that person) and then I build off of that.

Hope that answers your questions.
Mary B.
Julie

You guys are so inspiring!

Post by Julie »

Hello writers!

I loved reading this thread! Starting the day at 4 or 5 to write for a few hours each day, trying to break into the fiction market, juggling your day job and or mom duties with your writing, trying to make MONEY with your words---this is good stuff!!!

I'm cutting my teeth as they say with the whole writing to actually get paid thing. Like everyone else, there is not much time available for me to devote to this--I'm just working it in whenever I can. I'm so inspired by the rest of you who are actually making decent money doing this. I'm currently feeling like the wheels are spinning but the car is not moving . . . I've sold a few things here at CC but I haven't pursued any other outlets. I was hoping that opportunities here would be a be a bit more plentiful. Not sure what my next step should be, just trying to build up a nice collection here for now. I feel as though there are lots of opportunities out there, waiting . . . Hopefully my eyes will be open enough to see them.

As for the fiction--wow! Good for you guys that you are making things happen. I so often wish there were just more time in the day so I could make some progress with the many ideas that float around in my head. Someday . . .

Any favorite inspiring (and or lucrative) sites you enjoy that help you with your writing?

=) Julie