When creating a portfolio for references...

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

DSWaltenburg

When creating a portfolio for references...

Post by DSWaltenburg »

Here's my question:

Is it acceptable to use pieces that have sold for 'Full Rights' in a personal writing portfolio to be used for obtaining other writing work, either online or out in the real world? For example, if I wanted to present some of my work to a local newspaper as a writing sample, can I give them a printed copy of an article which I've already sold for Full Rights, and make sure to specify that I no longer own the rights to that particular piece of writing?

I realize I can't ever sell or republish a Full Rights piece again, but I'm not certain if using pieces for writing samples would violate any laws. Any advice would be most thoroughly appreciated.

Thanks!

Deborah
Celeste Stewart

Re: When creating a portfolio for references...

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I suppose it depends. Sometimes customers grant us bylines, even when full rights are purchased in which case you can probably safely link to your bylined articles or print off a copy or two.

Others buy full rights because they want to be able to edit the content as needed, want unique content, or plan on using it in such a manner where a byline doesn't make sense (such as an About Us page). In these cases, if you have a relationship with the customer, you could probably ask if it would be okay if you printed a copy of it for your portfolio or linked to it as a writing sample -- making sure it's clear that you won't copy and paste the content to your personal site which could cause duplicate content issues. This would be entirely at the discretion of the customer and I'd be careful with who I ask and under what circumstances. For example, if a customer buys the article for full rights and uses his or her own byline (which is their perogative under this license), then they probably won't want to give you credit as they've claimed credit as their own.

I know it's important to gather clips and build a portfolio. You only need a few bylines to establish credibility. Until then, you can always point potential customers to your current list of available articles on CC as samples or use generic terms (if true) such as "My work has appeared on various << insert genre >> sites."
DSWaltenburg

Post by DSWaltenburg »

Thank you, Celeste!

So, what are your thoughts about asking clients if you can print copies of your 'full rights' work for portfolios. Do you think it lessens credibility as an author, or that it's acceptable practice? I mean, from one angle, if an author already has several published pieces out there, then there's no need to use 'ghost' articles for samplings, however, if someone such as me, who is just starting to write professionally, doesn't have a portfolio of established work, then I need all the samplings I can use, correct? Especially, if I want to move towards writing for 'real world' sources, and not just internet work. It's the old catch-22....can't get the work without the experience, but can't get the experience without the work! Grr.

As usual, any advice is greatly appreciated!

Deborah
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

LIke I say, I think it depends on the situation. Here, you may not get the chance to ask, especially once the request is filled and removed. And even then, you probably need to wait and see how the content is used by later Googling it or establishing enough of a relationship with the customer. I have customers that I know would be pleased to let me use them as references and so forth. I also have some that I'd hesitate to approach in that regard. Others willingly recommend me to their buddies on their own or take me along as they move from company to company.

What's terrific about using CC is that you don't have to work so hard to build up a file of clips - instead, you can write articles specifically for the customer's request and let your articles sell themselves. Only once did I ever have to show a prospective customer a notebook filled with clips - it was a local gig for a small progressive news and opinion site - and I got the job, but it involved dressing up in a suit and suffering through an interview process (at an attorney's office no less). UGH! I much prefer writing a quick speculation article and getting work that way to the old suit and portfolio way but then I've always hated pants suits.

Really, it won't take long before you have a few bylines. . .
DSWaltenburg

Post by DSWaltenburg »

Thanks for your insight. I'm just trying to learn BEFORE making any moves I might regret, instead of doing it bass-ackwards!! :) I think I finally learned that after years of watching my carts pull my horses!

Pant Suits just plain suck!