Pen Name Debate

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

MaggieLee

Pen Name Debate

Post by MaggieLee »

I'm new to this site and have spent the last few days assimilating the concept. I think I've about got it figured. I'm wondering what name to use, though. All of my previous technical/commercial work has been for-hire, so the question has not arisen. My inclination is to use my real name for non-fiction work. I do sell fiction under various pen names. However, I have never made any effort to conceal my "true identity" (mainly because I'm just not that important.) If someone had the urge, they could quite easily make the connection between my real name and any of my pen names. My concern is that one genre in which I publish is erotica. In light of the stigma often attached to this particular genre, I'm mildly concerned that this could be a problem. I strongly suspect that I am over thinking this. I spent a lot of years in project management with emphasis on risk management, so I have a tendency to do that. However, since I have no experience in this type of environment, I don't feel I can adequately evaluate the question and am hoping someone with experience can advise me. Of course I may prove to be horrible at this type of writing, in which case the point is moot, but one does like to know where one is before jumping into a thing.

Thanks muchly!
Celeste Stewart

Re: Pen Name Debate

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Hi,
I went with a pen name when I signed up because *someday* I hope to have a YA novel published and thought it would be smart to keep the identities separate (and also because I don't want my real name all that accessible online). I think it's lovely being Celeste. It sometimes seems strange, like a split personality, but really I'm just me regardless of the name. The one thing that keeping this identity separate from my real name did from the beginning was give me courage to try things (such as writing non-fiction articles) that I might have shied away from before. But then you've probably experienced that as well with your erotic fiction.

Personally, I like using a pen name. Being naturally shy, I doubt I'd be as comfortable marketing myself using my real name. Never had a problem marketing companies, but myself? Yikes! As Celeste, that's not nearly as overwhelming. In a way, Celeste has become my company. There's enough distance that there's also less risk if you know what I mean.

Just my perspective. It's fine to use your real name as well. Whatever is most comfortable for you is likely to be the best choice.
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

I use my real name since I'm already on the web with my children's web site, songwriting, and past print publication references. So far I don't think I've written anything here that is contrary to my limited public image, but if I were going to write something like erotica, I'd probably do that under a pen name. Not that it seems to matter. Once a writer becomes famous, everyone knows all her pen names as well as her real name.

Also, if your article sells for full rights, it is very likely that your byline won't appear at all. I suppose you could also give a different name in your byline in the article document depending on the genre since this is the one the buyer will use when publishing the piece.

Debbi
MaggieLee

Post by MaggieLee »

Thanks for the input! Experienced opinions are always invaluable!