Sold my first article!

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

FivetoNine

Sold my first article!

Post by FivetoNine »

Is this where I come to uncork the champagne? I just found out about this site yesterday and submitted an article. It got rejected twice due to some glitchy error and I was going to give up but decided to take the plunge one more time. I'm not a writer by profession but I've always wondered if I could do it. Not only was my article accepted the third time, but I just got a notice today that it sold. Holy Moley, I made a whopping $19.25! Look, Ma, I'm a writer! (^_^)
Celeste Stewart

Re: Sold my first article!

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Yay! Now you know why so many of us are crazy about CC! Congrats!
4rumid

Post by 4rumid »

Wow! Don't just uncork the champagne . . . pour it so we can all share! Congratulations!
ecdoran

Post by ecdoran »

Think of all the ramen you could buy with 19 dollars if you had to! I'm unemployed, except for this gig, at the moment so every single dollar is potentially another dollar to eat :) Congratulations!!! You must be thrilled, especially to sell it so quickly after it was posted :)
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

oh that is awesome. It does happen like that for some and it must be such a rush! I think it took a few weeks for my first one to sell, but it was still a huge rush! Then for others it takes a few months...so it just depends, but it's always great to see a sale no matter when it happens. Congrats and best of luck with the next articles!
FivetoNine

Post by FivetoNine »

Ecdoran - I'm unemployed as well and have been for some time. It's scary out here, isn't it? But at least I've found something to keep me out of trouble. Besides being broke all the damned time, being idle is seriously the worst thing about not having a job. :cry:

Thanks for the support, you guys!
Sharion

Post by Sharion »

Heady, isn't it? Sounds like you're off to a great start! Woo hoo! Pop the cork!
FivetoNine

Post by FivetoNine »

Heady, indeed! Let's hope this isn't just beginners' luck! :)
ecdoran

Post by ecdoran »

FivetoNine wrote:Ecdoran - I'm unemployed as well and have been for some time. It's scary out here, isn't it? But at least I've found something to keep me out of trouble. Besides being broke all the damned time, being idle is seriously the worst thing about not having a job. :cry:

I agree absolutely. Doing something-- anything!-- productive is better at this point, both financially and emotionally, than submitting my resume to five or six businesses a day to never hear a word. They say finding a job is a full time job. Well, at this stage, I'd rather devote an 8 hour day to writing for CC than to submitting my little resume to companies receiving resumes from people with far more qualifications and decades of experience. I was recently told by one business that I am overqualified for an entry position and under qualified for the higher position. Gee, thanks. I was even turned down by a temp agency! :roll:
FivetoNine

Post by FivetoNine »

You're singing my song, ecdoran. I had pretty steady work with a temp agency for awhile last year but even that dried up many months ago. I don't have a degree so I'm not qualified for X; I've been an executive/admin assistant for some 30 years, so I'm underqualified for X; I have too much experience to get offered entry level jobs (as if I'd want them anyway) and not enough specific experience to qualify for anything else. It's incredibly frustrating. There were days when I just wanted to go to bed and stay there... and I still fight that occasionally. Don't know where I'd be right now if not for unemployment extensions and when they run out -- I don't even want to think about it. :|

But writing has always been a passion of mine, along with jewelry making and who knows where that will lead, right? Might as well be as productive as possible, as you said. It's better than sitting around watching your bank balance dwindle.
Goalsethigh

Post by Goalsethigh »

Did I read that right? You found the website one day. You submitted an article and it was accepted and sold the next? Wow! It is taking a lot longer for my articles to be reviewed. You are very lucky!
FivetoNine

Post by FivetoNine »

Hope my luck holds out! :D
CRDonovan

Post by CRDonovan »

Very cool. Keep it going!
jennifer

Post by jennifer »

Congrats!
yashuasgirl

Post by yashuasgirl »

Congratulations! I too am new to CC and was jumping up and down for joy when Ed accepted my unsolicited article, now it has had 7 hits in two days and I'm beginning to worry I set the price too high as it hasn't sold yet. I am happy for you though and urge you to take your writing more seriously,who knows this just might be your next new career!