POV request issue

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

dmgray

POV request issue

Post by dmgray »

I recently saw a public request that asked authors to write articles on a subject expaining how they had overcome a problem. This would require a first person POV and I believe this is forbidden by CC.

How can this type of request be fufilled? Is there something I do not know, or am I mistaken about the POV rules?

Is there an editorial process for client submissions/jobs and if so how is this type of request allowed?

Just wondering because I wanted to submit some articles for the request but could not see how I would be able to.

Thanks
jadedragon

Re: POV request issue

Post by jadedragon »

Ed has stated before that the 1st person POV rule is waived if submitting to specific requests (public or private) that specify that point of view. For that request you could also write it third-person. "Jack was feeling down but he read a book on self improvement and it lightened his outlook." Even if you are writing about yourself you can do it from an outsider's perspective.

If you do use first-person say something in your short summary to alert buyers this article is not the normal 2nd or 3rd person POV most articles are, like "Written from the first-person point of view, this article explores depression after the death of a child." Do not write the short summary "I explore depression in this article."
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

If a request specifically asks for something outside of the normal guidelines (like first person POV or fiction), then it's usually okay because that's what the customer is looking for. Ed's generally aware of the different requests but it doesn't hurt to include a line like "first POV by request" in your short summary to avoid any confusion.
dmgray

Post by dmgray »

Thanks for clearing that up. Apologies if the point has been answered previously, new member error on my part!