Who buys my article?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

mattjbiggin

Who buys my article?

Post by mattjbiggin »

Hi,

I am a fairly new writer to Constant Content - I have written 1 article, which sold recently and am currently writing my second. I just had a small query...

My profile tells me that my article is sold and gives me the name of the customer, however it is more of a handle than actually a company name, and there is no way i can find to view the customer. This isn't a big issue, but it'd be nice to see where my article has ended up (like on a website, or bought by a company etc), also, it would be nice to be able to try to see the kind of articles this customer regularly buys so that i might gear my submissions towards that, or even contact the customer directly to see if they want any more of my work.

Does anyone know of a way to find out a) Where a sold article ends up, and b) how to contact someone whose bought your article?

Thanks

Matt
Celeste Stewart

Re: Who buys my article?

Post by Celeste Stewart »

You can try googling a few sentences from your article to see if you can find it published on the Web, but you can NOT contact the customer outside of the CC system. If you notice that the customer has an open public request, then you could contact the customer through that request but keep the contact relevant to the request and non-spammy.
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

It looks like the customer handle we see is the part of the customer email before the @ so there are multiple Admin's and info's here. Just be careful about assuming a client is the same client who bought from you before.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

In addition to the previous responses, it's probably a good idea not to search for articles which have sold for full rights. Sure, it's nice to see them displayed, but you can't ever claim any kind of credit for them. I keep my searches limited to unique and usage sales. Those can be used in a writer's resume, or as examples of published work when applying for paying work elsewhere.
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

Out of pure curiosity, I have searched for some of my articles that have sold at full rights. I was pleasantly surprised to find that a couple of clients still chose to provide my byline even when they could have used their own name on it. I think I have read where a couple of other authors have found the same thing. It is always nice to see. I assume in an instance like that it might still be ok to use the article as an example of your work, but I don't think you could repost the article somewhere, even if your name is still on it. I do like to search for my sold articles, just out of curiosity.
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

If they kept your byline it is fine to use as an example of your published work. It is fun to see where articles end up.