The Short Summary-- can you talk about yourself?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Mackenzie

The Short Summary-- can you talk about yourself?

Post by Mackenzie »

When writing your short summary, if you have some kind of degree/expertise on the topic, are you allowed to mention it?

For example, if an article were about brain cancer treatments, could a writer note in his summary that he's an oncologist with a specialty in brain cancer who has spent 30 years working at leading cancer treatment centers?

I know we're not allowed to give personal contact information, and I understand the short summary should not be a bio or resume; but is it okay to throw in one sentence to show the potential buyers that they're getting an article from someone with relevant credentials/experience in the area?

Or is it off limits altogether to refer to yourself in the summary?

Thanks~
Mac
SJHillman

Re: The Short Summary-- can you talk about yourself?

Post by SJHillman »

This relates to a question I've been pondering. Can you quote yourself in an article as a professional in your field or would that be too close to an editorial?

For example: I have a degree, certifications and experience in IT; would it be allowable to quote myself to lend give credence to the topic?
jellygator

Post by jellygator »

I would think if it was written in 3rd person tense, it would be accepted, or with an added "Note: The author ...."
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

I guess I'm going to have to try it and submit and see if it comes back or not.

I figure at least in the short summary, if any expertise the author has can help sell it, it would be a good thing as long as it is just a mention and doesn't turn into a CV.
jellygator

Post by jellygator »

That's what I'd think, too. I hope you'll post here about the outcome.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Coming in a little late, but I remember being told not to do something similar by the editors. It was a few years back but I get their reasoning ---> The expertise will show in the words you write.
Lor

Post by Lor »

I think I'd just make sure I mentioned my areas of expertise in my profile. As Celeste said, the expertise is in the writing. Expert or not, it's still a good idea to attribute/credit some of the info to other authorities on the topic, remaining objective as the writer. There is so much false medical and cancer information found online, the more authority your article has, the better. But as a writer, I'd keep myself out of the picture. Those things should only be in your profile. I'm sure buyers read our profiles. I know I would before I bought from any particular writer.

I'm also wondering how you made out if you've already submitted it.