How do pro's write prolific, quality content?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

AteoAltruist

How do pro's write prolific, quality content?

Post by AteoAltruist »

I've finally had a couple of articles accepted. It took considerable time and effort to produce a couple of articles that may or may not make $100 bucks, so my question is this: How do you guys generate prolific, quality content?

During research I seem to drown in information. Prolific writers must have some parameters they stay within in order to limit the amount of time spent researching, and expanding content... no? I did stumble on an idea that has helped: I've been trying to gather information that will help me create more than one article on any given topic. But then I start writing, and stumble into the next hurdle.

I wander down tangents that seem important at the time, but turn a
concise article into a bloated piece. Then, explanations or whatever additional information I thought was relevant, becomes questionable. Consequently I end up changing things--over and over--during my own editorial process. I'm a perfectionist, which might help some areas, like just writing well, but man... the time I spend will not allow me to do it like this, and pay the bills.

Anyone have any insight that might help those of us who want to actually make a living rather than just earn an extra few bucks doing what we love?
Judith
Location: I may be found where mountains rise and rivers flow.

Re: How do pro's write prolific, quality content?

Post by Judith »

If I am going to write a few articles on the same subject, I start with outlines for each article.

Example - Nutrition

Nutrition and Your Teeth
Insert outline categories

Nutrition and Exercise

Nutrition and Pregnancy

If those are the articles I am writing... I can quickly pop my research into outline categories and place the research into the right article and avoid repetition. It takes 2 or 3 minutes to make each outline and then DON'T stray from your outline! I have a notebook full of outlines and notes for articles waiting to be written. Hope this helps a little. I'm sure others have great ideas to share!
evaku

Post by evaku »

I wouldn't say I am "prolific" by any stretch of the imagination but I have recently reached a point where they money I am making (though small, but growing) seems very reasonable for the amount of time I put into articles.

I wish I had some sagely advice but the best I can say just just keep at it and practice practice practice. Articles and editing used to take me hours and hours to do, and I think my approval rate was around 60%. Now I spend a fraction of that time on the work and have had my last 40 articles accepted outright and actually begun to see them sell (Alas, I have probably now jinxed my acceptance streak). It helps that I write mostly on things that I have extensive knowledge of, so I know exactly what I am writing and directly where to go for research.

Outlines are always good, though mine are mostly in my head. For shorter pieces I can plan out the 5 or so paragraphs and get going with it.

Just keep going at it and see if you stumble upon a formula that's good for you. Clear thinking = clear writing. Pick one main idea and ignore the tangents your mind may want to go on. All that extra information you want to add might be good as an article on its own. Its tough to say of course, without knowing specifics, but I always find that to be a good rule.
AteoAltruist

Post by AteoAltruist »

Both replies very helpful, excellent advice. Thanks so much.