Do hyperlinks work in the content editor?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Abbamay

Do hyperlinks work in the content editor?

Post by Abbamay »

Hi guys,

This is probably a silly question, but I have to include hyperlinks in an article. If I do them as usual in Word and then copy and paste the whole thing into the content editor for submission, will the hyperlinks work as normal or is there something else I have to do?

Thank you very much for any advice you can give me.

Abba
Lysis

Re: Do hyperlinks work in the content editor?

Post by Lysis »

Yeah, I have a customer who asks for them too. If you copy/paste from Word, they work.

I leave a note to tell the editor it's requested to avoid confusion.
ReneeF

Post by ReneeF »

Lysis wrote:Yeah, I have a customer who asks for them too. If you copy/paste from Word, they work.

I've just recently been told that the short summary section is not a messaging service and we cannot leave notes there. my note was that it was for a certain customer. LOL

Obviously there is an editor here who hates me. HAHA
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

Thanks very much Lysis and Renee. Really appreciate it. Glad to hear that it will work!

Hope things get heaps better for you, Renee! Sounds to me like you do a great job with all these hassles you come across.

Abba
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

ReneeF wrote:
Lysis wrote:Yeah, I have a customer who asks for them too. If you copy/paste from Word, they work.

I've just recently been told that the short summary section is not a messaging service and we cannot leave notes there. my note was that it was for a certain customer. LOL

Obviously there is an editor here who hates me. HAHA
lol that's happened to me too a long time ago. I did it with a private request, but I don't do it with normal requests. Yeah, I had my hand slapped for it too back when Ed was the sole editor.
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

I'm back again. I have some strict writing guidelines from a new client. I have to use "black dot bullet points" and Microsoft Word "Styles" for heading formatting. This wasn't a problem until I pasted it all into the content editor and the bullet points and heading formatting disappeared. (The hyperlinks look like they're still there though. :) ) So now my question is: do you know if the bullet points and headings will look right when the customer receives his copy? Or do I need to edit the headings and bullet points in the content editor after pasting all the text?

I have never seen such a comprehensive set of writing guidelines to follow in my life so I get the feeling that accuracy is important for this client! Very grateful to have the work anyway.

Thanks everyone.

Abba
ReneeF

Post by ReneeF »

Abbamay wrote:I'm back again. I have some strict writing guidelines from a new client. I have to use "black dot bullet points" and Microsoft Word "Styles" for heading formatting. This wasn't a problem until I pasted it all into the content editor and the bullet points and heading formatting disappeared. (The hyperlinks look like they're still there though. :) ) So now my question is: do you know if the bullet points and headings will look right when the customer receives his copy? Or do I need to edit the headings and bullet points in the content editor after pasting all the text?

I have never seen such a comprehensive set of writing guidelines to follow in my life so I get the feeling that accuracy is important for this client! Very grateful to have the work anyway.

Thanks everyone.

Abba
I'd do the formatting all in the editor.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Abbamay wrote:I'm back again. I have some strict writing guidelines from a new client. I have to use "black dot bullet points" and Microsoft Word "Styles" for heading formatting. This wasn't a problem until I pasted it all into the content editor and the bullet points and heading formatting disappeared. (The hyperlinks look like they're still there though. :) ) So now my question is: do you know if the bullet points and headings will look right when the customer receives his copy? Or do I need to edit the headings and bullet points in the content editor after pasting all the text?

Thanks everyone.

Abba
I thought the editor left the bullet points. I think the editor attempts to strip some of the MS formatting, because MS Word puts so much junk in its HTML that it ruins the result.

I think going back and doing the bullets in the editor is better.
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

Thanks again, guys. Good advice.

I have a different editor for this new client and he wrote and said I could send him the Word document via email so that after the article is approved he can send it to the client. I haven't had to do that before.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

This is what I love about CC. So accommodating. :)

I bet your customer is just giving you all those weird requirements because he doesn't know any better. But, CC playing referee is even better!